Monday, January 28, 2013

Who would have ever thought that a girl who is petrified of mice would wind up working for one?!

As a student at Northeastern University, I am given the opportunity to spend three of my undergraduate semesters on co-op. A co-op is sort of like an internship, but better! The school arranges full- and part-time jobs with companies around the world and students are able to send their résumés to the companies of their choice in hopes of being hired. The program teaches us valuable skills like résumé writing and interview etiquette, and the jobs we receive help to enhance our professional profiles and give us a feel for the kind of career we would eventually like to pursue. When I began applying, I looked at a lot of jobs involving social media, broadcasting and marketing in the Boston area for companies like Puma and ZipCar. I never expected that I would end up at Disney World!

A single phone call changed my plans. I was catching up with my friend from home, Stacey, when she started talking about her acceptance to the Disney College Program. It sounded really interesting and I began to wonder if I could somehow do the program and have it count as my co-op. After several phone calls and meetings with my advisor, it was clear that if I got accepted, this would be the perfect first co-op. I applied on a Monday and by the following Wednesday I had accepted the offer! 

Everything happened so quickly that I barely had time to process it. I am about to begin what many people say will be the best four months of my life. I'm super excited but also ridiculously nervous! I am going to try to post on here as often as I can to keep those who are interested updated on my happenings in and around the Walt Disney World Resort!


No comments:

Post a Comment